관계대명사란 한마디로 말해 독립된 두개의 단문을 연결하여 한 개의 단문으로 만들어 주는 역할을 하는 단어이다. 이때 두 개의 단문에 공통으로 들어있는 단어(word) 또는 구(phrase)를 한 번만 사용하고 대신 관계대명사를 사용하든가 또는 공통요소를 전혀 사용치 않고 한 개의 관계대명사로 대치하는 것이 기법이다. 관계대명사=대명사+접속사
2. 관계대명사의 여러 가지 예
1) She is my sister. My sister goes to high school.
She is my sister who goes to high school.
2) Here is a book. The author of this book is not known.
Here is a book whose author is not known.
3) This is the man. I met a man yesterday.
This is the man whom I met yesterday.
4) This is a house. He lives in this house.
This is the house that he lives in.
This is the house in which he lives.
5) This is the thing. This thing is very good.
This is the thing that is very good.
This is what is very good.
6) This is the house and I was born in the house.
This is the house and I was born in it.
This is the house which I was born in.
다음 2개의 문장을 관계대명사를 이용하여 한 개의 단문으로 바꾸시오
1. He is a very attractive boy. I love him
2. This is a rose. The color of this rose is red
3. This is a chair. We usually sit on this chair.
4. The sky of fall is blue. Under the sky of fall fly white clouds.
5. There is a hill. Over the hill the sun goes down.
6. He is an English teacher. The name of an English teacher is Mr. Lee.
7. In spring the flowers open up. Spring is the season I like most.
8. I believed the boy is honest. He deceived me.
9. I go to elementary school. Our school name is Hansoo.
10. I go to Hansoo elementary school. The school is not far from my home.
11. I am looking for the baby mole. The baby mole matches his father.
12. I love my Mom. My mom is a housewife.
13. I have an elder brother. He is 15 years old.
14. I have an umbrella. The color of umbrella is black.
15. I have a computer. I play a computer game with my computer.
16. There are oranges and apples. I like oranges among them.
17. There are many organizations. The sole purpose of many organizations is to help mentally retarded children.
18. I wear a sweater. The sweater belongs to my brother.
19. I have a sweater. The color of the sweater is red.
20. I have a dream. My dream is to become a president.
21. I have a pencil. I write a letter with a pencil.
22. There is a desk. The desk has two legs.
23. There is a chair. We sit on the chair.
24. I grow a sunflower. The sun turns to the sun.
25. I have a mother. My mother greets me when I get home from school.
26. I like winter vacation. I will study English during winter vacation.
27. I have gloves, My hands get warm with gloves.
28. Snow falls down from the sky. I like snow.
29. We have an apartment. Our apartment keeps our family from wind and rain.
30. Our English teacher loves spring flowers. The spring flowers open up in spring.
31. I am looking down the street through the window. There is no color in the window.
32. The phone has buttons. The buttons look like the moon.
33. There is a white paper. I draw a picture on the white paper.
34. There are four rooms in our apartment. One of those rooms is mine.
35. In-song, Park speaks English very well. I know him.
36. I met a lady one day. She is a professor of music.
37. I bought a book. The book's cover is yellow.
38. Look at the boy and his dog. They are crossing the street.
39. I love money. I can buy anything that I want with money.
40. I love babies. They are so cute.
41. There was the broad forehead, more than a hundred feet in height, the long nose, the heavy lips. The broad forehead, the long nose, the heavy lips, if they could have spoken, would have caused a noise like thunder through the valley.
42. The Women's Liberation Movement swept the country in the 1960s. The Women's Liberation Movement changed attitudes and behaviour forever.
43. He was an excellent writer. He could express his beliefs clearly and with great emotional force. Lincoln was able to make Northerners understand why they were fighting a civil war.
44. Language is an indispensable instrument of human society. It is the means. Individuals understand each other and enabled to function together as a community by that means.
관계대명사에 준하는 역할을 하는 단어로 이 유사관계대명사가 문장에서의 하는 역할을 잘 파악하지 않으면 문장해석이 어려워진다.
(1) There is nobody but has some faults.
There is nobody that has not some faults.
There is no rule but has exception.
(2) There is no one but believes what she said.
There is no one that does not believe what she said.
(3) Who is there but desires peace?
Who is there that does not desire peace?
(1) Such books as they read are instructive.
(2) As you can see, I am old.
(1) The curio was more valuable than was supposed.
(2) He is older than I. (than I am old)